The Rome Prize is the English phrase for "Priz da Rome". In 1866, the French Academy started to operate in Rome. Young sculptors and painters often stayed at the Academy for anywhere from six to eighteen years prior to returning to their hometowns. Artists who were chosen to go from the Academy in France to the one in Rome were winners of competitions held in France.
In 1793 the Academy was closed in France, but the one in Rome still operated. After the Academy's headquarters, the Palazzo Mancini, were ransacked, the Academy students left Rome for Florence and Naples. In 1803 the Academy once again opened in Rome at the Villa Medici, where it is still located today. Other countries followed the example set by the Academy and established academies of their own. Two of the most influential artists who were students at the Academy in Rome were David and Ingres.